Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Trying this out - Finn's Birthday Party



I've decided it's time to start a Blog. Yup, I'm finally entering the world of blogging. I've been inspired by friends of ours - The Cousineaus - who moved to France earlier this month and are sharing their adventures. I realize our blog won't be quite as exciting - how could it be? I can't compete with a new country with three kids under 5. But, it will be a way for us to share with you all what's going on in our increasingly hectic lives.

What better post to start with than Finnegan's 5th Birthday party?



He wanted a Star Wars birthday. I made him a cake, which ended up not working quite as I had planned. I had ordered an edible image which I couldn't manage to get on the cake. In a last minute panic, I decided it would be a good idea to draw a Yoda. Great idea, bad execution. I drew the body, Matt did the head. Finn was - thankfully - thrilled with it. I think the dueling Anakin and Darth Vader figures helped.



Several of Finn's friends came to our house for a combined backyard pool party and field day races. Matt planned the field day activities: races, softball throw, balloon stomp. He had more events planned, but we lost their attention to the pool.


Party Highlights:
Here's Finn getting ready to blow out candles:

And blowing:


And trying again (I think Ella's trying to help now, too):


Finn with school friends Ethan and Aidan:


Teaching Naomi and Ella how to duel with swords:

Watching Noah discover swords (sorry Laura and Tom!):


During the party Merete was a huge help. She has quite the fan base in the 5 and under crowd. Towards the end of the party, though, we could tell she was becoming upset. We couldn't figure out what was wrong until she admitted she was disappointed that the marshmallow structure designing had to be dropped due to lacking attention spans. So, this is what our evening looked like:


Merete's structure:


Finn's:

No comments:

Post a Comment